I just finished reading In Sheep’s Clothing – Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People By: George K. Simon. The following is my take away list of my behaviors that I need to change.
* Accept no excuses.
* Don’t try to second guess. Judge the behavior itself.
* Set personal limits. What action are you willing to take for yourself?
* Make direct requests.
* Accept only clear direct responses.
* Stay focused and in the here and now.
* Promises mean nothing.
* Keep the weight of responsibility on the aggressor.
* Avoid sarcasm, hostility, and insults.
* Avoid making threats. Just take action. Don’t counter Aggress.
* Take action quickly.
* Speak for yourself. Use I statements.
* Make reasonable agreements. Don’t make promises you can’t keep. Don’t ask for things you know won’t happen.
* Be prepared for consequences.
* Be honest with yourself. What are your wants and needs?
* Empowered living. Life with manipulative people is not easy, but it can be tolerable.