Haplogroup U8b is a branch on the maternal tree of humanity.
This timeline is an overview of the U8b branch’s history from the first early people to the birth of the first woman from the U8b lineage. (View in new tab.)
mtDNA Haplogroup U8b Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|09||U8b||3480 9055 14167||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||U8b||3480 9055 14167||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||U8b||3480 9055 14167||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||U8b||3480 9055 14167||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||U8b||3480 9055 14167||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||U8b||A3480G G9055A C14167T||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||U8b||A3480G G9055A C14167T||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||U8b||G9055A C14167T||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||U8b||G9055A C14167T||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup U8b Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup U8
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup U
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places: Eurasia and Levantine
Last Updated: [lastupdated]