Haplogroup R5a1a is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. The woman who started this branch lived at some point between recent generations and 4,000 years ago (Behar et al., 2012b).
mtDNA Haplogroup R5a1a Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|01||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 27 Aug 2008|
|02||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 14 Oct 2008|
|03||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 1 Mar 2009|
|05||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 8 Jul 2009|
|06||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 28 Sep 2009|
|07||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 10 Nov 2009|
|08||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 21 Mar 2010|
|09||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||R5a1a||8987 9708 10084||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||R5a1a||T8987C T9708C T10084C||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||R5a1a||T8987C T9708C T10084C||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||R5a1a||T8987C T9708C T10084C||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||R5a1a||T8987C T9708C T10084C||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup R5a1a Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5000430||Behar et al., 2008a||R5a1a||R5a1a2||R5a1a:16311||R5a1a:315.1C, 523-524d, 5147, 14088|
|Hap5006448||Chaubey et al., 2008||R5a1a||R5a1a*||R5a1a:152||R5a1a:523-524d|
|Hap5006464||Chaubey et al., 2008||R5a1a||R5a1a*||none||R5a1a:523-524d|
|Hap5022184||Palanichamy et al., 2004||R5a1a||R5a1a2||none||R5a1a:309.1C, 315.1C, 523-524d, 14088|
|Hap5022185||Palanichamy et al., 2004||R5a1a||R5a1a2||none||R5a1a:309.1C, 315.1C, 523-524d, 14088|
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., Metspalu, E., Kivisild, T., Rosset, S., Tzur, S., Hadid, Y., Yudkovsky, G., Rosengarten, D., Pereira, L., Amorim, A. and Kutuev, I. (2008). Counting the Founders: The Matrilineal Genetic Ancestry of the Jewish Diaspora. PLoS ONE, 3(4), e2062+.
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Chaubey, G., Karmin, M., Metspalu, E., Metspalu, M., Selvi-Rani, D., Singh, V.K., Parik, J., Solnik, A., Naidu, B.P., Kumar, A. and Adarsh, N. (2008). Phylogeography of mtDNA haplogroup R7 in the Indian peninsula. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 8(1), 1.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Palanichamy, M.G., Sun, C., Agrawal, S., Bandelt, H.J., Kong, Q.P., Khan, F., Wang, C.Y., Chaudhuri, T.K., Palla, V. and Zhang, Y.P. (2004). Phylogeny of Mitochondrial DNA Macrohaplogroup N in India, Based on Complete Sequencing: Implications for the Peopling of South Asia. American journal of human genetics, 75(6), 966-978.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup R
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup R
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places:
Last Updated: [lastupdated]