Haplogroup B4g is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. The woman who founded this line lived between 8,400 and 21,900 years ago (Behar et al., 2012b).
National Geographic 2.0 Information
This information comes from the 2012 update of the National Geographic Genographic Project website.
mtDNA Haplogroup B4g Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|01||B4g||9968 16292||Released 27 Aug 2008|
|02||B4g||9968 16292||Released 14 Oct 2008|
|05||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16292||Released 8 Jul 2009|
|06||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16292||Released 28 Sep 2009|
|07||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16292||Released 10 Nov 2009|
|08||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16292||Released 21 Mar 2010|
|09||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16292||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16292||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16292||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||B4g||5108 7789 9968 14905 16213 16292||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||B4g||9968 16213 16292||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||B4g||C9968T G16213A C16292T||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||B4g||C9968T G16213A C16292T||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||B4g||C9968T G16213A C16292T||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||B4g||C9968T G16213A C16292T||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup B4g Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5011574||Ko et al., 2014||B4g||B4g2||B4g:8281-8289d||B4g:61A, 62, 1413, 2378, 6482, 7424, 9592G, 16095A, 16189, 16242, 16301|
|Hap5022401||Zheng et al., 2011||B4g||B4g:16129||B4g:61, 62, 309N, 310, 329, 523-524d, 1462, 2378, 6482, 15951, 16181-16183d, 16301|
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Ko, A.M.S., Chen, C.Y., Fu, Q., Delfin, F., Li, M., Chiu, H.L., Stoneking, M. and Ko, Y.C. (2014). Early Austronesians: Into and Out Of Taiwan. American journal of human genetics, 94(3), 426-436.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Zheng, H.X., Yan, S., Qin, Z.D., Wang, Y., Tan, J.Z., Li, H. and Jin, L. (2011). Major Population Expansion of East Asians Began before Neolithic Time: Evidence of mtDNA Genomes. PLoS ONE, 6(10), e25835+.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup B
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup B
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places: East Asia
Last Updated: [lastupdated]