Haplogroup A8a is a branch on the maternal tree of humanity. Its age is not clear, but it must be younger than the birth of its parent lineage between 11,400 and 25,200 years ago (Behar et al., 2012b).
Published research on this lineage comes from two papers. The first found members in the Ket population of Siberia (Starikovskaya et al., 2005). The second found a member in the Guizhou region of China (Ji F et al., 2012).
Geno 2 data includes one person with maternal origin information. They are from Italy.
With limited but diverse information, it is difficult to determine the migration path of this lineage. It was likely part of an Asian population that migrated East to modern China and West to modern Europe.
mtDNA Haplogroup A8a Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|15||A8a||C64T T146C!||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||A8a||C64T T146C!||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||A8a||C64T T146C!||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup A8a Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5014375||-||Starikovskaya et al., 2005||A8a||-||A8a:235||A8a:309.1C, 315.1C, 523-524d, 722, 6779, 9007, 15229, 16293C, 16519|
|Hap5016434||-||Ji F et al., 2012||A8a||-||A8a:16242||A8a:151, 253, 523-524d, 3144, 4508, 5046, 5067, 7711, 9531, 16291A, 16519|
Sources & Resources
- Allentoft, M.E., Sikora, M., Sjögren, K.G., Rasmussen, S., Rasmussen, M., Stenderup, J., Damgaard, P.B., Schroeder, H., Ahlström, T., Vinner, L. and Malaspinas, A.S. (2015). Population genomics of Bronze Age Eurasia. Nature, 522(7555), 167.
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Ji, F., Sharpley, M.S., Derbeneva, O., Alves, L.S., Qian, P., Wang, Y., Chalkia, D., Lvova, M., Xu, J., Yao, W. and Simon, M. (2012). Mitochondrial DNA variant associated with Leber hereditary optic neuropathy and high-altitude Tibetans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109(19), 7391-7396.
- Starikovskaya, E.B., Sukernik, R.I., Derbeneva, O.A., Volodko, N.V., Ruiz‐Pesini, E., Torroni, A., Brown, M.D., Lott, M.T., Hosseini, S.H., Huoponen, K. and Wallace, D.C. (2005). Mitochondrial DNA Diversity in Indigenous Populations of the Southern Extent of Siberia, and the Origins of Native American Haplogroups. Annals of Human Genetics, 69(1), 67-89.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup A2
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup A
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: Ket | Places: Guizhou and Italy
Last Updated: [lastupdated]