Haplogroup A7 is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. The woman who started this branch lived at some point between recent generations and 15,700 years ago (Behar et al., 2012b).
Information on this lineage comes from two published studies (Bilal et al., 2008 and Tanaka et al., 2004). Members of the line in both studies came from Japan.
Geno 2 data does not include a member of the line.
National Geographic Geno 2.0 Information
This information comes from the 2012 update of the National Geographic Genographic Project website.
mtDNA Haplogroup A7 Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|01||A7||8413 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 27 Aug 2008|
|02||A7||8413 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 14 Oct 2008|
|03||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16182C 16183C 16189||Released 1 Mar 2009|
|04||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16182C 16183C 16189||Released 10 May 2009|
|05||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 8 Jul 2009|
|06||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 28 Sep 2009|
|07||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 10 Nov 2009|
|08||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 21 Mar 2010|
|09||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||A7||146 8413 10172 15379 16051 16129 16189||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||A7||T146C! A8413G G10172A C15379T A16051G G16129A! T16189C!||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||A7||T146C! A8413G G10172A C15379T A16051G G16129A! T16189C!||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||A7||T146C! A8413G G10172A C15379T A16051G G16129A! T16189C!||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||A7||T146C! A8413G G10172A C15379T A16051G G16129A! T16189C!||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup A7 Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing resuts over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Publication||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5005502||Bilal et al., 2008||none||A7:309.1CC, 315.1C, 523-524d, 16182C, 16183C, 16193.1C|
|Hap5014630||Tanaka et al., 2004||none||A7:309.1CC, 315.1C, 523-524d, 16182C, 16183C|
Geno 2.0 Data
Data from Geno 2.0 is derived from the The National Geographic Society’s Genographic Project — the DAR. The Hg ID is specific to this site and is used to protect the identities of those who take part in Genographic research. Birth Country, Mother's Birth Country, and Maternal Grandmother's Birth Country have been normalized from DAR database fields. The Maternal Origin is determined based on the three previous fields.
Note: Geno 2.0 results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing resuts over to build 17.
If you use the information in this table, please credit both this site and The National Geographic Society’s Genographic Project.
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Bilal, E., Rabadan, R., Alexe, G., Fuku, N., Ueno, H., Nishigaki, Y., Fujita, Y., Ito, M., Arai, Y., Hirose, N. and Ruckenstein, A. (2008). Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroup D4a Is a Marker for Extreme Longevity in Japan. PLoS ONE, 3(6), e2421.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Tanaka, M., Cabrera, V.M., González, A.M., Larruga, J.M., Takeyasu, T., Fuku, N., Guo, L.J., Hirose, R., Fujita, Y., Kurata, M. & Shinoda, K.I. (2004). Mitochondrial Genome Variation in Eastern Asia and the Peopling of Japan. Genome Research, 14(10a), 1832-1850.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan's mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan's Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick's mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup A2
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup A
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places: Japan
Last Updated: Last updated: September 26, 2018 at 5:41 am