Haplogroup A1a1 is a branch on the maternal tree of humanity. It is between 1,500 and 8,300 years old (Behar et al 2012b).
This lineage has been found in two published studies. The first is medical (Hartmann et al., 2008). The second found members in the Kizhi and the Buryat of Siberia (Derenko et al., 2007).
The Geno 2 dataset does not currently include members of this lineage.
Considering the origins of available samples and those of the parent branch, this lineage may have been part of a westward migration from East Asia. Alternatively, it may have been born in its current Siberian homeland.
It is worth noting that prior to Phylotree build 16 this lineage was known in published literature as A4a1a.
mtDNA Haplogroup A1a1 Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|01||A4a1||4928||Released 27 Aug 2008|
|02||A4a1||4928||Released 14 Oct 2008|
|03||A4a1a||4928||Released 1 Mar 2009|
|04||A4a1a||4928||Released 10 May 2009|
|05||A4a1a||4928||Released 8 Jul 2009|
|06||A4a1a||4928||Released 28 Sep 2009|
|07||A4a1a||4928||Released 10 Nov 2009|
|08||A4a1a||4928||Released 21 Mar 2010|
|09||A4a1a||4928||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||A4a1a||4928||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||A4a1a||4928||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||A4a1a||4928||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||A4a1a||4928||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||A4a1a||T4928C||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||A4a1a||T4928C||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||A1a1||T4928C||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||A1a1||T4928C||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup A1a1 Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5009343||-||Hartmann et al., 2008||A1a1||-||A1a1:235||A1a1:315.1C, 523-524d, 771, 9756G, 16519|
|Hap5015760||-||Derenko et al., 2007||A1a1||-||A1a1:235, 10915||A1a1:315.1C, 523-524d, 16519|
|Hap5015769||-||Derenko et al., 2007||A1a1||-||none||A1a1:309.1CC, 315.1C, 523-524d, 9776, 15043, 16519|
|Hap5015778||-||Derenko et al., 2007||A1a1||-||A1a1:235||A1a1:315.1C, 523-524d, 9756G, 16519|
|Hap5015785||-||Derenko et al., 2007||A1a1||-||none||A1a1:309.1C, 315.1C, 523-524d, 15043, 16519|
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Derenko, M., Malyarchuk, B., Grzybowski, T., Denisova, G., Dambueva, I., Perkova, M., Dorzhu, C., Luzina, F., Lee, H.K., Vanecek, T. and Villems, R. (2007). Phylogeographic Analysis of Mitochondrial DNA in Northern Asian Populations. American journal of human genetics, 81(5), 1025-1041.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Hartmann, A., Thieme, M., Nanduri, L.K., Stempfl, T., Moehle, C., Kivisild, T. and Oefner, P.J. (2008). Validation of microarray-based resequencing of 93 worldwide mitochondrial genomes. Human mutation, 30(1), 115-122.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup A2
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup A
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: Buryat and Kizhi | Places: Siberia
Last Updated: [lastupdated]