Haplogroup Z3a1a is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. Its age is between 300 and 7,900 years (Behar et al., 2012b).
mtDNA Haplogroup Z3a1a Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|07||Z3a1a||8931 11075||Released 10 Nov 2009|
|08||Z3a1a||8931 11075||Released 21 Mar 2010|
|09||Z3a1a||8931 11075||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||Z3a1a||8931 11075||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||Z3a1a||8931 11075||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||Z3a1a||8931 11075||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||Z3a1a||8931 11075||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||Z3a1a||A8931G T11075C||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||Z3a1a||A8931G T11075C||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||Z3a1a||A8931G T11075C||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||Z3a1a||A8931G T11075C||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup Z3a1a Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5006232||Chandrasekar et al., 2009||Z3a1a||Z3a1a*||none||Z3a1a:309.1C, 315.1C, 6378, 12172, 15452, 16150, 16519|
|Hap5006273||Chandrasekar et al., 2009||Z3a1a||Z3a1a*||none||Z3a1a:309.1C, 315.1C, 9452, 16150, 16519|
|Hap5006277||Chandrasekar et al., 2009||Z3a1a||Z3a1a*||Z3a1a:146, 207||Z3a1a:309.1C, 315.1C, 16519|
|Hap5018183||Liu et al., 2012||Z3a1a||Z3a1a1||none||Z3a1a:315.1C, 13174, 16519|
|Hap5018276||Liu et al., 2012||Z3a1a||Z3a1a1||none||Z3a1a:309.1C, 315.1C, 13174, 16519|
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Chandrasekar, A., Kumar, S., Sreenath, J., Sarkar, B.N., Urade, B.P., Mallick, S., Bandopadhyay, S.S., Barua, P., Barik, S.S., Basu, D. and Kiran, U. (2009). Updating Phylogeny of Mitochondrial DNA Macrohaplogroup M in India: Dispersal of Modern Human in South Asian Corridor. PLoS ONE, 4(10), e7447+.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Liu, J., Wang, L.D., Sun, Y.B., Li, E.M., Xu, L.Y., Zhang, Y.P., Yao, Y.G. and Kong, Q.P. (2012). Deciphering the Signature of Selective Constraints on Cancerous Mitochondrial Genome. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 29(4), 1255-1261.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup Z
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup Z
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places:
Last Updated: [lastupdated]