Haplogroup Z is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. It is a child of haplogroup CZ. It was likely born around 22,000 years ago. (Behar et al., 2012b)
MtDNA haplogroup Z was likely born in Central Asia.
Behar et al., 2012b placed the birth of the Z lineage between 13,300 and 30,000 years ago. This means the line was born in the Upper Paleolithic. At the time, people were using stone tools.
This timeline is an overview of the Z branch’s history from the first early people to the birth of the first woman from the Z lineage. (View in new tab.)
National Geographic Geno 2.0 Text
mtDNA Haplogroup Z Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|01||Z||152 6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 27 Aug 2008|
|02||Z||152 6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 14 Oct 2008|
|03||Z||152 6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 1 Mar 2009|
|04||Z||152 6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 10 May 2009|
|05||Z||152 6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 8 Jul 2009|
|06||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 28 Sep 2009|
|07||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 10 Nov 2009|
|08||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 21 Mar 2010|
|09||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||Z||6752 9090 15784 16185 16260||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||Z||A6752G T9090C T15784C C16185T C16260T||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||Z||A6752G T9090C T15784C C16185T C16260T||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||Z||A6752G T9090C T15784C C16185T C16260T||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||Z||A6752G T9090C T15784C C16185T C16260T||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup Z Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Der Sarkissian, Clio; Balanovsky, Oleg; Brandt, Guido; Khartanovich, Valery; Buzhilova, Alexandra; Koshel, Sergey; Zaporozhchenko, Valery; Gronenborn, Detlef; Moiseyev, Vyacheslav; Kolpakov, Eugen; Shumkin, Vladimir; Alt, Kurt W.; Balanovska, Elena; Coope (2013). Ancient DNA Reveals Prehistoric Gene-Flow from Siberia in the Complex Human Population History of North East Europe. PLoS Genetics, 9(2), e1003296+.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup Z
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup Z
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places:
Last Updated: [lastupdated]