Haplogroup M5a1b is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. Its age is between 3,200 and 11,300 years (Behar et al., 2012b).
mtDNA Haplogroup M5a1b Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|01||M5a1b||524.1AC 1303 3954 6461 9833 16298||Released 27 Aug 2008|
|02||M5a1b||524.1AC 1303 3954 6461 9833 16298||Released 14 Oct 2008|
|03||M5a1b||524.1AC 1303 3954 6461 9833 16298||Released 1 Mar 2009|
|04||M5a1b||524.1AC 1303 3954 6461 9833 16298||Released 10 May 2009|
|05||M5a1b||524.1AC 1303 3954 6461 9833 16298||Released 8 Jul 2009|
|06||M5a1b||524.1AC 1303 3954 6461 9833 16298||Released 28 Sep 2009|
|07||M5a1b||1303 6461||Released 10 Nov 2009|
|08||M5a1b||1303 6461||Released 21 Mar 2010|
|09||M5a1b||1303 6461||Released 20 Jun 2010|
|10||M5a1b||1303 6461||Released 10 Aug 2010|
|11||M5a1b||1303 6461||Released 7 Feb 2011|
|12||M5a1b||1303 6461||Released 20 Jul 2011|
|13||M5a1b||1303 6461||Released 28 Dec 2011; Last Build to use the rCRS|
|14||M5a1b||G1303A A6461G||Released 5 Apr 2012; First version to use the RSRS|
|15||M5a1b||G1303A A6461G||Released 30 Sep 2012|
|16||M5a1b||G1303A A6461G||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||M5a1b||G1303A A6461G||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup M5a1b Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing results over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Origin||Publication||Hg BLD16||Hg BLD17||Hg YFull||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5005349||Behar et al., 2012b||M5a1b||M5a1b*||none||M5a1b:309.1C, 315.1C, 3954, 9833, 16298|
|Hap5006184||Chandrasekar et al., 2009||M5a1b||M5a1b*||M5a1b:16311||M5a1b:309.1C, 315.1C, 3954, 6092|
|Hap5006199||Chandrasekar et al., 2009||M5a1b||M5a1b*||none||M5a1b:309.1C, 315.1C, 2308, 10649, 15721|
|Hap5015927||Russia||Malyarchuk et al., 2008c||M5a1b||M5a1b*||none||M5a1b:309.1C, 315.1C, 524.1AC, 3954, 9833, 16298|
|Hap5023408||Malyarchuk et al., 2006||M5a1b||none||M5a1b:310, 524.1AC, 3954, 9833, 10187, 16148, 16192, 16298|
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Chandrasekar, A., Kumar, S., Sreenath, J., Sarkar, B.N., Urade, B.P., Mallick, S., Bandopadhyay, S.S., Barua, P., Barik, S.S., Basu, D. and Kiran, U. (2009). Updating Phylogeny of Mitochondrial DNA Macrohaplogroup M in India: Dispersal of Modern Human in South Asian Corridor. PLoS ONE, 4(10), e7447+.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Malyarchuk, B.A., Grzybowski, T., Derenko, M.V., Czarny, J. and Miścicka‐Śliwka, D. (2006). Mitochondrial DNA Diversity in the Polish Roma. Annals of Human Genetics, 70(2), 195-206.
- Malyarchuk, B.A., Perkova, M.A., Derenko, M.V., Vanecek, T., Lazur, J. and Gomolcak, P. (2008). Mitochondrial DNA Variability in Slovaks, with Application to the Roma Origin. Annals of Human Genetics, 72(2), 228-240.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan’s mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan’s Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick’s mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup M
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup M
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places:
Last Updated: [lastupdated]