Haplogroup L1c2b1a1 is a branch on the maternal tree of humanity. Like her parent, the first woman from this branch lived in Africa. The date the line formed is not clear, because there have been so few from it tested.
There are two samples from this line published in research (Behar et al., 2012b and Greenspan et al., 2006 – 2016). Both samples come from people who have donated their self-tested samples from research.
From Geno 2.0 data, samples with known maternal origins come from the British Territories, the United States, and Mexico. From this, we know that they come from descendants who were carried as part of the slave trade to South America from Africa.
mtDNA Haplogroup L1c2b1a1 Phylotree History
Phylotree.org is the maternal (mtDNA) tree of humanity. It is maintained by Dr. Mannis Van Oven. Each build is a major update to the tree. The current build is #17.
|16||L1c2b1a1||A3349G C7675T G12771A||Released 19 Feb 2014|
|17||L1c2b1a1||A3349G C7675T G12771A||Released 18 Feb 2016|
mtDNA Haplogroup L1c2b1a1 Data Sources
GenBank is a database of genetic sequence data. It is run by the United States National Institute of Health. It serves as the main repository for mtDNA full sequence profiles. Samples come both from published academic literature and donations from genetic genealogy community members. In addition to GenBank samples, listings below may include other samples published but not submitted to GenBank such as those from the HapMap project.
Note: GenBank results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing resuts over to build 17.
|Hg ID||Publication||Missing Variants||Additional Variants|
|Hap5005222||Behar et al., 2012b||L1c2b1a1:5899.1C||L1c2b1a1:183, 315.1C, 2162, 2352, 5899.1CC, 7854, 10978, 11350, 16286G|
|Hap5008466||Greenspan et al., 2006 - 2016||L1c2b1a1:2395d, 16093||L1c2b1a1:315.1C, 2395-2399d, 3106N, 3912, 8573, 16162, 16286G|
Geno 2.0 Data
Data from Geno 2.0 is derived from the The National Geographic Society’s Genographic Project — the DAR. The Hg ID is specific to this site and is used to protect the identities of those who take part in Genographic research. Birth Country, Mother's Birth Country, and Maternal Grandmother's Birth Country have been normalized from DAR database fields. The Maternal Origin is determined based on the three previous fields.
Note: Geno 2.0 results currently use Phylotree build 16. I am working on changing resuts over to build 17.
|Hap10067237||Virgin Islands||Virgin Islands||British Territories||British Territories|
|Hap10067239||United Kingdom||United States||United States||United States|
|Hap10067240||United States||United States||United States||United States|
|Hap10067241||United States||United States||United States||United States|
If you use the information in this table, please credit both this site and The National Geographic Society’s Genographic Project.
Sources & Resources
- Behar, D.M., van Oven, M., Rosset, S., Metspalu, M., Loogväli, E.L., Silva, N.M., Kivisild, T., Torroni, A. and Villems, R. (2012). A “Copernican” reassessment of the human mitochondrial DNA tree from its root. American journal of human genetics, 90(4), 675-684.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2011). MitoTool: a web server for the analysis and retrieval of human mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mitochondrion, 11(2), 351-356.
- Fan, L., & Yao, Y. G. (2013). An update to MitoTool: using a new scoring system for faster mtDNA haplogroup determination. Mitochondrion, 13(4), 360-363.
- Family Tree DNA & Greenspan (2006). Sequences Directly Submited by Family Tree DNA on Customers' Behalf. , -, -.
- Van Oven, M., & Kayser, M. (2009). Updated comprehensive phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation. Human mutation, 30(2), E386-E394.
- Ian Logan's mtDNA Pages
- Ian Logan's Instructions for mtGenome Genbank Donation
- James Lick's mtDNA Utility
- The FTDNA Haplogroup Project for Haplogroup L1
- The Wikipedia Article for Haplogroup L1
The following members of the community offer paid consulting for those seeking help with mtDNA results. Inclusion on this list is not a recommendation or endorsement of any service.
Peoples: | Places: Africa, British Territories, and Virgin Islands
Last Updated: Last updated: July 26, 2016 at 14:26 pm