On the 11th, I put together a Facebook group for Y-DNA, then I held off on pushing it live. I was not 100% sure what direction I wanted it to take. While waiting, I have discovered two things.
- First, the genetic genealogy community is ready to embrace NexGen type Y-DNA testing like Family Tree DNA's Big Y.
- Second, more than ever, new and even experienced community members are confused about what Y-DNA testing can do for their genealogy and the meaning of Y-DNA jargon.
Current, usable, methods based resources are sadly lacking. So much is out of date. If a resource is current, it often has much hype.
Yes, the Big Y is wonderful. Is it always the right answer though? Family Tree DNA has hinted that they may drop the Y-STR pretesting requirement to order it? Is it the new best starting point for Y-DNA testing?
What of the other NexGen offerings from Full Genomes Corp. and YSeq?
Are there practical uses for chip based Y-SNP results from Living DNA, 23andMe, or Genographic?
I took a look at the Y-DNA related groups on Facebook. Each has its strengths, no one group though was designed to target the practical applications for each testing method. Nor did any one group offer support those who tested at any or all companies. The ISOGG FB group comes closest, but it is not a Y-DNA focused group.
Current Y-DNA Groups on Facebook
|Group||FTDNA BiGY*||FTDNA User Group*||Y-DNA Admins||ISOGG||DNA Detectives||YSeq User Group||YFull User Group||FGC User Group||Genetic Genealogy – Tips & Techniques|
|Open to All||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|NexGen Y-DNA Tests||Yes||Yes||Somewhat||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Somewhat|
|Living DNA Website & Tests||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||Somewhat|
|Genographic Website & Tests||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
|23andMe Website & Tests||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
|* Nether of these groups are official representatives of FTDNA.|
I decided that the community needs then is a single group where anyone can come with Y-DNA results from any testing company and gain understanding of those results. After talking with some exceptional new and old friends in the community, I revised my Y-DNA group. It is now the Y-DNA – Applied Genealogy & Paternal Origins group.
This group is dedicated to collaborative learning about Y-DNA testing at Family Tree DNA (FTDNA), YSeq, and Full Genomes Corp. (FGC). Covered topics include Y-DNA, Y-STRs, Y-SNPs, Big Y, Haplogroups, and how to use the various company websites. All knowledge levels are welcome.
1) Be gentle with each other. Be kind to yourself. Be compassionate to all.
2) There are no stupid or bad questions. If you want to know, surely others do too. Ask!
3) Don't post content that will have to be removed. This includes, company bashing, people bashing, SPAM, profanity, the names of living people without their permission, and anything that violates the FB community standards.
* Failure to follow the group rules may result in removal from the group at the discretion of the group moderators.
On behalf of the group moderators and myself, I invite all with an interest in Y-DNA genetic genealogy to join us.